Indian summers are certainly no joke when it comes to the harshness of the heat and the piercing rays of the sun. However, this season is also the time when most of us are in the vacation spirit. Undoubtedly, we go about planning our schedule to make the most of this summer break. So, why not add a gardening session to our bucket lists this summer? Not only is the whole experience is therapeutic, but you also get to reap the rewards of your hard work. Just like how we rejoice in the relaxation we get from our nice little vacation, certain plants thrive in this hot season. Get your planting hats on and grab some vegetable seeds fit for this season and get planting!
Don’t worry about what to plant and how to plant because here we have covered a list of seeds and plants that you can grow this season. Clean your balconies and verandahs and get all ready because we assure you that growing plants from seeds is very easy. As for getting your seeds, find an expansive collection of plant seeds online at Urja Seeds. We have a range of exotic and hybrid vegetable seeds that you can choose from.
Here’s a list of vegetable seeds you can grow in the Indian summer season:
If you want to stock up on your antioxidant levels this summer, then you definitely should consider growing brinjals in the kitchen garden. Filled with lots of minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients you can redeem these amazing health benefits. Besides, the glossy purple colour is a vibrant addition to your plates. Follow these steps to grow this plant at home:
- Prepare soil that is well-drained and sandy loam with pH ranging from 5 to 7.5.
- Place the seeds half an inch deep into the soil with each being at least 20 to 45 inches apart in spacing.
- Water moderately so the moisture is retained and the soil does not dry out. Make sure you do not overwater the plant.
- Organic manure or aged compost should work perfectly as a fertilizer.
- You can harvest the plant 3 to 4 months later once they are firm and of the right colour.
This vegetable is majorly made of water content and is an excellent option to provide hydration. Naturally, it helps your body to detoxify all the toxins. It is also extremely nutritious with high content of vitamins and minerals. Besides, the coolness of this plant in itself is enough for us to consider growing it at home. Follow these steps to grow cucumbers in your very own home garden:
- Prepare soil that is best and loose sandy loam and well-drained. Make sure it has a good amount of organic matter.
- Plant the seeds an inch deep at a space of 3 to 4 inches till they grow a little.
- Remove the weaker plants and ensure there are 11 to 15 inches of space.
- Water evenly regularly so the soil remains moist.
- In about 2 months your plant will be ready to harvest.
3] Tomato Seeds
Whether tomatoes are fruits or vegetables will always be up for debate. However, you don’t need to debate on whether to plant this veggie during the summer or not. It’s easy to grow tomatoes in your kitchen garden. Imagine having a fresh stock of ripe, red and juicy tomatoes in your garden. With their slight tanginess and amazing health benefits, this is the right option to plant this summer. Here’s how:
- Tomatoes grow in any type of soil except for heavy clay soil.
- The pH of the soil should range anywhere from 5.5 to 6.8.
- Ensure it receives at least 6 hours of sunlight per day.
- The soil should be kept moist at all times so ensure that you water daily as required.
- There should be a spacing of 40 to 60 cm between each plant.
- Add compost and well-aged manure to the soil for fertilizing.
- In about 2-3 months, your tomato plant should be ready to harvest. The ripe one should be firm yet soft enough to give a small squeeze.
No dish is complete without a few green chillies. Especially Indian dishes. They make the heart and soul of your very cuisine. Not only are they good for your health but you can also consume them raw. So, follow these steps and grow your chilli plant at home:
- For soil, make sure it is well-drained with loose organic matter.
- Sow them half an inch to an inch deep into the soil with each plant being 45 cm apart.
- Water the plants frequently to keep the soil moist but don’t overdo it.
- Organic compost or manure should work as a great fertilizer for chilies.
- In around 2 months, your plant should be ready to harvest.
Pumpkin not only adds some more colour to your dishes, but it also brings along its fair share of health benefits to the table. It is tasty and healthy enough to make it to your next planting session list. It is fairly low in calories but rich in other important nutrients. Here’s how you can grow them:
- Loosely packed soil that has a lot of organic matter works best for pumpkins.
- Sow the seeds directly an inch deep with a space of 5 to 6 inches between each plant.
- You will need to evenly water these plants very deeply because they need an even layer of moist soil. Make sure that the soil does not dry out.
- Organic manure is a good fertilizing option for this plant.
- In around 70 days or three months from sowing the plant is ready to be harvested.
- Pick the ones that have a deep colour and dried vines for your harvest.
This plant just loves the sweltering heat which makes it a great option to plant this season. It is rich in vitamins A, B, C and E so you can benefit from growing okra or bhindi at home. Here’s how you can grow this plant:
- Prepare soil that is well-drained and with a pH level up to 6.5.
- Sow the seeds an inch deep with 6 inches of space between each plant.
- Water regularly to keep the soil moist.
- Organic manure is a good option for fertilizing this plant.
- You can harvest the plant in around a month or 2 months from sowing. Harvest them when they are 3 to 5 inches in length.
So, what are you waiting for? Plan your summer garden and have an amazing stock of vegetables to pick from this season. Get authentic veg seeds for your garden at our store.
About Urja Seeds
Urja Seeds offers high quality seeds online for your home garden. If you are looking to replenish vegetable seeds for home garden, then you are at the right spot. Find a range of exotic seeds, micro green seeds, flower seeds and vegetable seeds online at our website and order your desired seeds today.
Q1] On average, how much sunlight do summer plants need?
A1] Summer plants love the extreme heat and thrive in this season so you need to give them at least 6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day.
Q2] How do you take care of plants in summer?
A2] Because they are meant to grow in summer, water them regularly and correctly and keep a check that the environment has enough humidity. Add enough compost and follow the required steps to care for the specific plant you are growing.